Foto o' the Week

Foto o' the Week
U2

Thursday, August 05, 2004

The Importance of Sincerity

Today, I had a conversation with my mother. It involved my brother as well; and as usual, my mom and Joel (my brother), were in disagreement. The actual argument surrounded the issue of gambling, but that is of little importance to the reason I am now writing. As the discussion developed (or failed to do so), I noticed a few things. Absolutely everything said by either party was completely disregarded by the opposing side. This makes dialogue more or less a complete waste of the oxygen supply on the planet. It mattered not in the least what was said. Mom-"You dont understand, just listen..." Joel, completely oblivious to the merit of my mothers argument says, "No, see what you don't understand, is that..." Mom, without heeding anything said by Joel, says "Nope. You're wrong." Now, argument over. (I should mention that I did enter the "ring", but got shoved out.) Ok, let's review what has been accomplished: Mother dearest has entered the argument with "X" esatblished in her mind as correct. My dear brother has entered the bout with "Y" firmly planted as the correct concept. Both arguers make arguments completely irrelated to anything said by the other, without ever stopping to think that, my oh my, "I could be wrong!" (I know that this sounds condescending, but I am as guilty as either...even in the conversation I am using as an example!) I think perhaps the biggest error they (we) made, happened because none of us ever wanted to get to the truth about the matter. That never crossed anyone's mind. If there is truth to be known about the matter, it was never remotely involved in the actual conversation. The people involved did not want the truth, they wanted to be right. Unless one begins with a sincere hunger and thirst for truth, they will forever wander blindly clinging with a proud grip to a mere mirage--unworthy of the gloriousness of truth.

No comments: